What 2 Breeds Make A Fluffy Frenchie?

It is often mistaken that a Fluffy Frenchie is a mix of two different breeds, which is entirely false. The French Bulldog was originally a mix of English Bulldogs and Parisian terriers, but the fluffy resulted from a genetic mutation.

Are Fluffy Frenchies Purebred?

Indeed, fluffy Frenchies are French Bulldogs of pure breed. Since French Bulldogs naturally carry the long-haired gene, producing a long-haired puppy from two purebred parents is feasible. The issue is that these dogs are rare because this gene is quite uncommon.

The long hair gene is recessive to the short hair gene in French Bulldogs. This explains why the short-haired variety is so prevalent. The likelihood of getting short-haired Frenchies is increased. Kennel clubs do not automatically recognize purebred dogs just because they are purebred.

Only French bulldogs with short hair are accepted by the United Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, and American Kennel Club. Anything longer is seen as ineligible. This implies that fluffy Frenchies won’t be present at dog events or clubs.

These dogs are deemed defective by kennel clubs. Faulty, in this instance, does not imply that the dogs are less healthy or friendly. Simply said, Frenchies with long hair do not conform to the kennel clubs’ rules for their breed.

They are uncommon, so kennel clubs do not regard them as standards. ‘Undesirable’ traits are typically assigned to traits that do not frequently manifest. The Fluffy French Bulldog is the subject of considerable discussion and prejudice.

The fact that these dogs have been crossed with another breed to create a mixed breed is a serious concern. You can have puppies with long hair by breeding with a long-haired dog. However, trustworthy breeders who advertise fluffy puppies will sell you a puppy that is 100% purebred and was born of two French Bulldog parents.

You can always ask the breeder to take a breed identification test if you locate a reputable breeder specializing in producing fluffy puppies that are still doubtful.

What 2 Breeds Make A Fluffy Frenchies?

To produce a Fluffy French Bulldog must mate two Frenchies, both carrying a recessive gene called Fibroblast growth factor 5 (FGF5). While this gene has been present in the Frenchie breed from the very start, breeders have only recently begun to intentionally test for the gene to produce more long-haired Fluffy French Bulldogs.

A standard Frenchie will inherit a genetic marker for fur length from either parent. But since the FGF5 gene is recessive, a Fluffy Frenchie must inherit it from both parents to be visibly long-haired.

The term “visual long-hair” refers to a dog with two FGF5 gene markers and fluffy fur, whereas “long-hair gene carrier” refers to a dog with one copy of the gene that does not have fluffy fur but can pass the characteristic on to children. “Short hair” refers to a dog that carries no copies of the FGF5 gene.

Understanding the Breeding of Genes

Here is a breakdown of certain hair genes mixed that can produce fluffy French Bulldogs.

Long-Hair Gene Carrier x Long-Hair Gene Carrier

 Short-Hair Long-Hair
Short-Hair Short-Hair Long-Hair Gene Carrier w. Short-Hair
Long-Hair Long-Hair Gene Carrier w. Short-Hair Long-Hair

100% of the puppies will have short hair and have the long-hair gene marker when a short-haired Frenchie with visually long hair is crossed with a short-haired dog lacking the FGF5 gene.

Long-Hair Gene Carrier x Long-Hair Gene Carrier:

Short-Hair Long-Hair
Short-Hair Short-Hair Long-Hair Gene Carrier w. Short-Hair
Long-Hair Long-Hair Gene Carrier w. Short-Hair Long-Hair

There is a 25% probability that the progeny of two French bulldogs having the long-hair gene will be visual long-haired Frenchies, a 50% chance that they will be long-hair gene carriers with short hair and a 25% risk that they will have short-hair and no FGF5 marker.

Long-Hair Gene Carrier x Visual Long-Hair

Long-Hair Long-Hair
Short-Hair Long-Hair Gene Carrier w. Short-Hair Long-Hair Gene Carrier w. Short-Hair
Long-Hair Long-Hair Long-Hair

A 50% probability exists that the children of a long-hair gene-carrying Frenchie and a visual long-haired Frenchie will have short hair and carry the FGF5 gene, and a 50% chance exists that they will be illustrated long-haired canines.

Visual Long-Hair x Visual Long-Hair:

Long-Hair Long-Hair
Long-Hair Long-Hair Long-Hair
Long-Hair Long-Hair Long-Hair

100% of the progeny of two visual long-hair Frenchies will also have long visual hair. The best approach for breeders to guarantee fluffy Frenchies is to do this!

Do the Recessive Genes Affect The Characteristics of The Fluffy French Bulldog?

The simple answer is nothing besides long hair is changed about the Fluffy French Bulldogs. They have the same personality, loyalty, intelligence, size, and weight.

Here is a little brief explanation of these characteristics.

Fluffy Frenchie Temperament

The temperament of a Fluffy Frenchie is the same as that of their smooth-coated, short-haired relatives. French bulldogs, sometimes known as “little clowns,” are silly canines with a wonderful temperament. as long as they have a lot of positive interactions with humans and other dogs.

The following are some characteristics of the Frenchie temperament:

  • Playfulness
  • Friendliness
  • Slight territoriality
  • Moderate energy
  • Occasionally independent

Fluffy Frenchie Size

Just like standard short-haired Frenchies, Fluffy Frenchies also have the same height. A typical Fluffy Frenchie is between 11 to 13 inches tall at the withers and weighs between 16 to 26 pounds.

Fluffy Frenchie Health and Lifespan

Frenchies, a little dog breed, normally live between 10 and 14 years, but other small breeds typically live between 12 and 18 years. The Frenchie’s tendency for medical problems accounts for its significantly shorter lifespan. Numerous Frenchies suffer from serious medical disorders due to their breed or poor genetic compatibility.

The face is the most important health consideration when choosing a fluffy Frenchie. As brachycephalic dogs, fluffy Frenchies have short, compressed faces. This physical mutation is the consequence of deliberate and selective breeding, although it only serves as an aesthetic benefit for these breeds.

Aside from being dangerous, the short face might make Frenchies more vulnerable to respiratory problems like asthma and allergies. Many airlines forbid brachycephalic dogs from traveling on planes due to the possibility of breathing issues.

French bulldogs are also renowned for frequently getting skin rashes and allergies, and they may need regular facial washing to prevent the infection of their folds.

FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions

How Much is a Fluffy Frenchie?

A Fluffy Frenchie will cost you a minimum of $10,000, which can go above that. It is hard to find and produce Fluffy Frenchies, so count yourself lucky if you get a purebred Fluffy French Bulldog.

What Makes a Fluffy Frenchie?

The fluffy genes called FGF5 are responsible for producing long hairs in a French Bulldog. It is a recessive gene, so both parents must carry these genes to produce a Fluffy puppy.

If You Breed a Frenchie with A Fluffy Frenchie, Will You Have Fluffy Puppies?

There is a very low chance of the resulting puppies being Fluffy, but it’s not zero. The fluffy genes are recessive, which can stay hidden even in normal French Bulldogs. But if the French Bulldog does not have fluffy genes will only have a single copy of this gene that won’t be visual.

The resulting puppy will be a short-haired Frenchie with hidden Fluffy genes.


Fluffy Frenchies are purebred and normal Frenchies with long hair. It is a misfortune that they are not recognized by any kennel club, making it harder to get a quality puppy.

The kennel clubs must recognize this Frenchie and ensure quality breeding to avoid unethical breeding.

Leave a Comment